Welcome to ParEvo
ParEvo is a method of exploring alternative futures or histories, using a participatory evolutionary process (hence ParEvo). The process is designed to be used by multiple people, to produce a branching structure of storylines about what did, or could, happen. Participants are anonymous and can choose the extent to which they collaborate with others. Participants are also able to tag, comment on, and evaluate the storylines that are generated. Completed exercises can be analysed using downloaded data describing the content of storylines and the structure of people’s participation. Outcomes can be both cognitive (e.g. how we think about the future) and behavioural (e.g. how we respond to the future).
The use of ParEvo is free, subject to approval by the Administrator. Initial and ongoing technical support is available at a variable cost (£0...£n), depending on duration of need.
How it works - in brief
- The Facilitator provides the seed for a story. This will usually be no more than two or three paragraphs long, setting the scene for what might happen next. It is like the first first page of a novel.
- Participants are then asked to each add a short text describing what happens next. These are the nodes 1-10 in the diagram, representing contributions by 10 participants in the first "iteration"
- Participants then read all these contributions and each select one they would most like to continue
- Participants then add another short text describing what happens next to the storyline they have chosen. These are nodes 11 to 20 in the diagram, in the second iteration of the exercise
- The process of selection then addition (points 3 and 4 above) are reiterated. The number of re-iterations is decided by the Facilitator either at the beginning, or as the exercise proceeds
- There is finally a summary stage when the participants are asked to evaluate the surviving storylines in terms of their probability and desirability
Find out much more about ParEvo on this very comprehensive supporting website
Some additional points to note:
- All text contributions are anonymous, no author information is made visible. Participants are given a unique anonymised ID at the beginning
- Participants can be given the opportunity to make comments on specific contributions, in between one iteration and the next
- The evaluation process can include other criteria, in addition to probability and desirability. There are mutliple means of seeking participants evaluations.
- Facilitators can download the quantitative and qualitative data generated by each ParEvo exercise, in a range of Excel file formats
- Facilitators can vary a range of settings that define how participants take part in an exercise
Participants need to be invited by a Facilitator to set up an account. Please contact your Facilitator for login details. If you have not been invited, you cannot use ParEvo. Once you have login details you can login at any time.
To become a Facilitator, you have to apply to create an account. Use the form below. ParEvo is free to use, subject to approval.
Once approved, you will be able to invite Participants and set up and manage one or more exercises of your own design.
Please also note...
ParEvo email list
If you want to be kept informed of how ParEvo website is developing join the email list: email@example.com
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall Rick Davies be liable to you or any party related to you for any indirect, incidental, consequential, special, exemplary, or punitive damages or lost profits, even if Rick Davies has been advised of the possibility of such damages. In any event, Rick Davies total aggregate liability to you for all damages of every kind and type (regardless of whether based in contract or tort) shall not exceed the purchase price of the product.
Rick Davies owns the copyright to the ParEvo process embodied in and enabled by this website. Others can use this process, if they notify Rick Davies beforehand. For more information on copyright see:
Who developed ParEvo?
The ParEvo process was designed by Rick Davies, an evaluation consultant based in Cambridge, U.K.
For more information on the origins of the process design see MandE NEWS - Evolving Storylines.
The ParEvo web app was built by Aptivate: The Digital Agency for International Development.